Sunday, September 15, 2013

Good days and bad...

I haven't gone "woods" detecting in a long time.  Today my nephew and I detected a wooded lot my brother owns, the lot is densely wooded except for a few trails cut by a lot clearing company to get access to the interior.  Although I could find no history on the property I wanted to detect it because you just never know... Perhaps there was a 1920's hunting camp on it at some time in the past, maybe a troop of soldiers from the Seminole Indian Wars camped there, perhaps a 2 reale coin was dropped by a Spanish missionary in the 1600's... As it turned out we found nothing but trash, relatively new trash, and a surprising amount considering it is a lot no one has built on.  Lots of buried beer cans, rusty bits of rebar, a few nails (not old), large wads of tinfoil buried under the dropped pine needles, a few old golf balls, and a small handful of memorial pennies I found near the road (not in the woods).  We will go back when once he gets the lot cleared, this will open up the property and we can get in there to give it another go.  A few inches of topsoil off will help if there is anything old on the site. 

So was today a good or bad day? No decent finds, lot of junk, eaten alive by swarms of skeeters, sweated out about a half gallon...  In my view it was a good day!  It was great detecting with my nephew, plenty of fresh air, birds were singing, exercise, I was using my MXT which I haven't swung in a long time, life is good - overall a great detecting trip.




No comments:

Post a Comment